Wednesday, December 5, 2012

gamble

I think you as a little self-righteous
It's in your gait
The way your eyes draw into slits
When you catch your reflection in a swinging glass door
And the wicked way your lips curve into a half-smirk
The same place that will be the graveyard
Of flushed skin and sweat
Where I find my rest

Like the slivers of your dinner you shared with me that night
Among past lovers and adolescent adventures
You decided you could do without me
We tiptoed around the future because with it
Drew prospect of a possible romance
And nobody speaks of such foolish hopes in the open
For fear they might slip from clumsy hands
Eventually,
you did between my trembling digits

It seems we're back to before we met
Strangers, except with a torrential flood of
Barely theres and plans that may never see the light of day
Or the sparkle in your eyes as laughter racked your body
Like sobs to mine when the night robs me of my mirth

I think I don't mind
Our paths will spiral and slant 
And intertwine with others'
Until they cross once again
Then the sear of a kiss rendered unbearable
By time and her medicinal ways
Will become my sole existential purpose

No comments: