Monday, October 29, 2012

Weekend

Can't really find the right words to describe the feeling I have in my chest now. I came home after my A Level Mother Tongue paper and decided to spend my afternoon watching some of the movies I downloaded the other day, and I started off with Weekend, among others like About Cherry, Shame and An Education that I hope to finish watching soon.

Weekend was brilliant.

Like Blue Valentine, it left me in tears with the nondescript rawness of it all, touching on a topic although becoming less taboo, with explicitness and detail so thorough it had me feeling a little uncomfortable at first. After I got over my initial reservations, I got swamped by how real those feelings, fears discussed were, how those two men could possibly be anybody out there in the world. Such accurate representatives of people facing similar circumstances. Of people that are often too quickly judged, dismissed, insulted; thrown to the gallows.

Loved, loved, loved the movie, with a substantial amount of dry, British humor. My soul is thanking me now.




  1. Glen: Look, straight people like us as long as we conform, behave by their little rules. Imagine your friends, if you suddenly started getting all really political about being a fag or you got suddenly like camp or swishy or talked about rimming all the time.
  2. Russell: Yeah, but that's not what i' m like, is it? That's not who i am.
  3. Glen: Well, trust me they like it, as long as we don't shove it down their throats.
  4. Russell: OK, well, why should i just shove it down their throats?
  5. Glen: Because they shove it down our throats all the time, being straight... straight story lines on television, everywhere, in books, on billboards, magazines, everywhere. But, oh, the gays, the gays... (gasps) We mustn't upset the straights. Shh, watch out, the straights are coming. Let's not upset them, let's hide in our little ghettos, let's not hold hands, let's not kiss in the street, no.

Now, excuse me while I go watch The Art Of Getting By.

No comments: