Friday, November 22, 2013

of pertinence to our relationship

Did you know that sometimes I get lost in the circles your lips make?
On other days, however,  I am drowning in the streams between your rib-bones as your semi-
conscious, sleeping frame stretches
did you know that I once scraped my knee from tripping on the effortless way you slip your tongue between my teeth, and it bled from the gravel that was your breath whispering promises to my breastbone

since that day, I have not recovered.

I wanted somebody to tell me I am doing things right,
that in a world smitten with half-truths, a rarity would ensure
then that very same blasted universe spat out a 5'9'' promise and I was to
keep my heart guarded and palms open towards you
but,
I could not prepare myself for the likes of you
You who elbowed your way into my life like one would shove into a crowded bus on a Friday evening,
relentlessly and with purpose
your presence demanded it be felt and I nursed it like my life depended on it
but then again all of it before your entry seems largely irrelevant now
and I don't fall asleep to the rhythm of hot tears dripping onto a cotton blend of pillows anymore
or the hollow beating of my sullen heart weakened by disenchantment

did you know you changed my life?

No comments: